Thursday, January 15, 2009

Souricide!

I went into the gardening section at the supermarket looking for a new cage trap. Boxes and containers of Souricide (mouse killer) screamed at me from the top shelf. Some even boasted killing rats, mice and voles. The only traps to be had were fatal ones, I’ve got a couple of those. I can’t bring myself to use them.

When we had a colony of voles in Dom’s bedroom Rob borrowed a rat cage trap from the towers. I went into the room one day to see a vole carefully climbing through the holes, having finished off the cheese.

I’ve put the bag of rubbish for Friday morning on top of a metal box, hopefully they won’t be able to get at it. When I went to the garage earlier I just managed to see a little creature jump down from the wall; the walls are bare breezeblocks so I imagine easy to climb up. I expect he/she was trying to figure our how to get across to the rubbish

5 comments:

Dru Marland said...

What about one of those ultrasonic rodent scaring-away things? I remember reading about someone who got rid of moles by putting a radio tuned to Radio 1 down their hole, but it would drive me barmy, never mind the rodents. Then again, a bit of Rodgers and Hammerstain? Oklahoma? Souris With A Fringe On Top.... o never mind....

Caroline said...

How do you feel about a cat?

You could borrow someones for a while...

Anji said...

Dru: I used to know an egg man who treated his hens to Radio One all day and everyday, he said that they laid better.
Caroline: There was a black cat in the garden this afternoon, i think he times his visits to coincide wth when I put out scraps for the birds. I'll try inviting him into the garage.

Caroline said...

Good idea - better catching your mice than catching birds!

Anji said...

Caroline: One of our neighbours had a cat who only went after mice, he was cute too.