Thursday, March 18, 2004

Barbie
Our newspaper ran an article on Barbie yesterday, she’s forty-five years old. What caught my eye was the sub headline; “No wrinkles and breasts high!” Barbie didn’t come across to France until 1963 and even then was slow to catch on, as French TV didn’t have advertising. (Rob: they certainly make up for it now) I know someone who collects Barbies, she never takes them out of their boxes. Dom had a few, The one I remember the most was the one with a foot chewed off. We also had Barbie’s ski chalet. The thing took up a lot of room and bits dropped off if you tried to move it around.

I had Tressy; “Her hair grows”. I was given her one Christmas complete with six high fashion outfits. Funnily enough I saw a dress just like hers the other day in a magazine, hipster waist and box pleated skirt. My sister had a Sindy doll; “the doll you love to dress”

I seem to remember that another doll was launched a few years ago. Happy (to be me), she had shoulder length brown hair and her figure was more realistic, she arrived wearing jeans, a sweat shirt and FLAT shoes. I might have some of the details wrong there. I wonder what happened to Happy?

No comments: