Friday, May 16, 2008

Nightmares, vacuum cleaners and irons

Mother’s day here isn’t until next weekend, so this week the supermarkets and shops have been sending out their free magazines with lots of good ideas. Olivier was studying one a couple of nights ago and called me over saying “I’m sure you want one of these”. It was a page crammed with vacuum cleansers and irons. No thanks, if I have a present it must be something for moi. Did I tell you about the Christmas Eve that the iron blew up? Fortunately for me it was too late to go out and buy one to wrap and put under the tree.

I told Olivier the following story: When the children were small, Dominique was a baby, I think. I woke up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare about someone buying her a pink toy vacuum cleaner. Not long after some friends came to stay. Their daughter was two or three at the time. It was late summer so the autumn/winter catalogue had come out full of ideas for Christmas. Her mother called her over all excited; toy vacuum cleaners and irons!!!! Needless to say I took myself off to the kitchen to escape.

Dom did go through a Barbie phase but it had finished by the time she was about 5. She’s never taken an interest in vacuum cleaners, pink or otherwise – That’s my girl!

5 comments:

Voegtli said...

But a pink vaccum cleaner is so cute! :-)

Dru Marland said...

Vacuum cleaners - the fate des mamans? Point him to the chocolate page!

Young Katie asked for a Princess Barbie for Christmas years ago. "There's no way on God's clean earth am I going to get you a Princess Barbie," I thought.

Someone else got one for her though.

She played with it for about five minutes and said, "I don't know how to play with dolls" and went back to her paint.

Anji said...

Peter: If you want one you can have one as far as I'm concerned!

Dru: I'm thinking of making a book list to leave lying around. I wonder whose book might be on it...

Good for katie! Dom used to be very good at things like constructing islands out of sheets of paper.

Dawtch said...

I guess I am just too practical...I was perfectly content with a new toaster for Xmas one year, and I think I totally freaked out my new (at that time) mother-in-law when she asked what I wanted for Xmas one year, and I answered and iron & ironing board...but I did get it
:)
BB
dawtch

Anji said...

dawtch: How to impress a new Mother-in-law! i wouldn't mind a toaster which makes toast with a smiley face!