Friday, April 18, 2008

Glucose tests a waste of time?

I was very shocked this morning when I listened to the news broadcast on BBC radio 4. A report has just been released which says that there is no point in people like me checking their blood sugar levels on a regular basis. The report says that constant checking causes worry and even depression in patients. I strongly disagree. My father was on the verge of losing his toes before he was diagnosed with diabetes. I made sure that my doctor knew that there was diabetes type II in my family for two generations. I consider myself fortunate that abnormal blood sugar levels were spotted quickly and that using tests I could adjust my diet. Testing strips and lancets for finger pricking are expensive, but surely they are a lot cheaper than insulin injections, hospital stays and rehabilitation costs after amputation? I won’t go into the subject of blindness and other organ problems diabetic patients face. I’ll be discussing this with my own Doctor next time I see him to see what is going to happen in France. I’d be interested to know what other people think about this subject; diabetic, pre-diabetic or not.

4 comments:

Dawtch said...

Ewww....what's with the previous post..?
Anyways, My hunny was diagnosed as diabetic back in Sept. What makes that ironic is that he really eats pretty healthy-lots of fruits & veggies, lots of chicken, lots of fish, limited amounts of pork & beef, very little sweets, etc. I on the other hand, like cow. Almost exclusivly. I eat chicken, but no fish (I am allergic, but it's ok, I don't like it anyways). I eat sweets, white bread, lotsa pasta, etc. I am hypoglycemic (The opposite of diabetic).
While pregnant, I was told I had gestational diabetes...NOT. How do I know not..? Well on the way to one of the many extra appts required due to this diagnosis, I stopped at a fast food restaurant, ate a burger, fries & large orange drink. I was to test 2 hours after each meal. I was still at hosp 2 hours later so they tested me...the first reading was 42. They thought it was an error, got a different meter and retested. By then it was at 35. I don't think those readings indicate diabetes...but the diagnosis allowed many more tests. appts and meds, if you get my meaning. So, I am just a bit leery of the whole diabetes diagnosis.
In fairness, hubby changed eating habits a bit & started Janumet, and his sugars have dropped.
Good luck.
bb
dawtch

Anji said...

Dawtch: Thanks for telling me your story. I know that measurements aren't everything. A lot of people suffer because their thyroid readings are 'normal' when they are quite ill. I always get lectures from my doctor about what not to eat, like your hubby I usually eat sensibly...

Anonymous said...

Tag! Play is important. http://bomarzo.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/six-things-meme/

Anji said...

Bomarzo: thanks. Good way of practicing bullets and lists!