Wednesday, January 23, 2008

You mustn't judge a book by looking at its cover

Since I wrote about the lady who lived on the streets dying just before Christmas, my sister and I have been exchanging emails regularly where she’s told me about her local tramp. I had a sad email today, my sisters tramp has been found dead. He was only in his thirties. She and her neighbours are quite upset about it.

When I worked at the language school, some of the classrooms were let as bed sits for the homeless. It was quite disturbing I can tell you to go to your classroom for a lesson and find someone living in it. Though that’s another story.

One of the young men was really special. Before he became homeless he was in business and very successful. Unfortunately he was involved in a very bad car accident and was in hospital for a long time. The people who worked for him tried very hard to keep the business going but it went under and he lost everything. So eventually he ended up living on the streets. It’s very difficult to find work here in France and if you don’t have an address, impossible – it’s also difficult to get any help without an address. He lived in one of the ex classrooms and got thinner and thinner, Karin and I gave him food when we could. He was so nice, always willing to have a chat and helped me when I had trouble unlocking the front door, passing on messages etc and he had a lovely little boy who stayed with him sometimes. The school was sold and has been converted into offices – last time I went by it was still empty. I wonder where he is now?

The point I want to make with all that is, you never know who might end up on the streets.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a local tramp, a very pleasant fellow, always smiling and cheerful. He would be about 65ish. He was always in the local town, and at night he would sleep in shop doorways etc., and during the day the shoppers would buy and give him sandwiches and a bit of money.

Then we had a new local "bobby" on the beat, and yes, you've guessed, he made Tom's life pure hell! He kept telling him to move on or else! Tom kept all his meagre belongings in an old pram. One night a gang of youngsters stole it, took it to the local park, and set fire to it.
We never saw Tom again after that. That was about 10 years ago, and I often wonder what happened to him.

Anonymous said...

Sad, isn't it? I hope your homeless man is alive and well. I'll be thinking of him, and the two others you wrote about.

It's just hard to know what to do.

Anji said...

Keith: Some people just don't get it, do they?

Cas: Yes, I hope he managed to get back onto his feet.

I think that there is probably an interesting story behind all the people who live on the streets - if we took the time to find out.

Pamela J Weatherill said...

Thanks for this posting ... a reminder to embrace everyone in your local community ...

Anji said...

Pam: Like I said you never know...