Saturday, October 30, 2010

You can't win them all

Today was a little different. Rob had a message yesterday from a friend who keeps an eye on the auction house in town. There were a few boxes of postcards coming up this afternoon. We spent the day in town and had a good look around – like tourists. We had a lovely lunch in the little square (triangle really) by the magic tree (meeting place of all young people with guitars and funny cigarettes for many years until they took the low wall away). I had toasted goat’s cheese salad with walnuts, apple, goat’s cheese, etc. and Rob had salmon tartar (but I didn’t tell him that the salmon was raw) which he really enjoyed. We went to the auction and waited patiently for our lots to come up… we were outbid. That’s life.

We also found the house which had been the home of this lady. Rob took a picture with his super iPhone and will forward it to me tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once went to an auction once. I got all caught in the excitement and I big on this old pie cabinet. I won the bid. I went up to look at what I won the bid on and from far away it looked great, from up close it looked awful, all worn out, full of holes, not worth nothing. I knew my husband would kill me if I took it home, so I told them I did not want it and I didn't buy it. I think I had to pay them some money to get out of buying it. Auctions are fun, but I learned the hard way that you have to check out everything before the auction.

Don said...

I've always wanted to go to an auction, but never have... Some day I should though....

Anna said...

Yeah, same for my mother! and now wen I went to get them fixed the girl noticed that I have several spots in my brows were no hair grows!

VĂ©ro B said...

So Rob still doesn't know that he ate raw salmon? :)

Anji said...

Connie:Always go to the viewing and examine the goods first.
We have bid without looking first. A box of old papers turned out to be old christmas and birthday cards, not vintage just 80s and 90s. They would have cost less if we bought them new from the shop

Anji said...

Don: You must go, it's a great place for people watching too.

Anna: Hang on to them!!

VNB: I told him afterwards. Perhaps one day I'll get him to try sushi.

Keith said...

I went to an auction once and saw a beautiful old set of drawing instruments with ivory handles in a blue velvet lined and leather covered box. As you know I'm a calligrapher and I was determined to have them, so I started the bidding at £1. Someone at the back bid £2, so I upped it to £3. This went on for quite a while and when I was outbid at £20 I dropped out and the person at the back got them.

Later that afternoon my father-in-law presented me with the same box of drawing instuments saying "I got these for your birthday, but I was nearly outbid by some clown at the front of the hall!" I never did tell him that it was me!

Love your new templates by the way.

Jackie said...

I used to love going to auctions but now tend to just attend the local online one, not so much fun.

Anji said...

Keith: It could only happen to you!

Jackie: Online auctions are better fun if you are the seller.