Friday, June 06, 2008

Karma

Life is becoming extremely difficult on my porch. I have no business there whatsoever. A couple of times the nightingales and I have come pretty close to each other and I can assure you, you would not like the tutting and tail flashing that follows every meeting. Late yesterday afternoon I managed to watch a feeding session; I can see three heads and beaks now. They are growing very quickly. I was discovered and scolded. They now tut if they think I might be near the curtain. I leave them alone of course, I’d hate them to abandon the nest because of me. I only go onto the porch when opening the shutters and very quickly put the washing out the other end to their nest. I can understand that tempers must be a little short, they seem to be coming back to the nest with food every couple of minutes all day long. I watched one of them in the road in front of the house pecking at the grit, they really are busy every second of the day . Free as a bird ? – The golden chains of freedom more like.

I often think of Karma as a negative idea. All of those nasty people who will get their nastiness back later is a satisfying thought sometimes. Karma can be a lovely thing too:

Yesterday evening we were coming home from our evening walk along by the marsh and two swans were swimming right next to the road with 6 7 or 8 signets/chicks/nicks. We couldn’t agree on the number because they were pretty active, in and out of the reeds and behind the trees which are in the water at the moment. We stayed and admired the family for a good 10 minutes. I don’t know why anyone should call a signet an ugly duckling, these were lovely and fluffy and various shades of grey. I told the swans how beautiful their babies were and thanked them for letting us admire them for so long. That was my reward, I think, for all of my ‘troubles’ with the nightingales.

4 comments:

Doris said...

LOL Sounds like those nightingales have you well trained :-)

zoe said...

I am a firm believer in karma - although a knife would do the job quicker at times, I agree - I still prefer to stick to karma.

Anonymous said...

Tut.. tut... Zoe, I'm surprised at you.

I don't believe in Karma, Zen, and other so-called meditation thingies, I'm more your martial arts type person. Soooo much more satisfying!

Anji said...

Doris: I'm afraid my porch will be out of bounds till August!

Zoe: Me too, I don't think I could stick a knife into anyone, you should watch me carving the meat.

Keith: You mean a swift kick in the ankle?