Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Gone and never called me Mother...

I was alarmed this morning as there was no activity in the nest. They can’t have learnt to fly without my noticing? After a little research I discovered that birds of this type (known as chats in English) remove their chicks from the nest before they learn to fly. They hide them in the undergrowth. Two reasons: The chicks are getting bigger and there is no room in the nest. As the chicks grow they become more interesting to predators. My babies are out there hidden away in the garden. With any luck the parents will be back to nest in the same spot next year.

At lunch time I turned the radio on as ‘World on the Move’, a program about migration, was finishing, they happened to mention that they have a nest with a webcam in it! The quality isn't very good at the moment.

I was saving this poem for when they flew the nest, but as they’ve gone I’ll post it now:

COME TO THE EDGE!

Come to the edge.
We might fall.

Come to the edge.
It's too high!

And they came
and he pushed

and they flew ...

(Not sure who wrote it really and sometimes the words aren't quite the same)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a family of crows in our yard who tended their young in the same manner. We did get to see them during the day while they were having their flying lessons.

Just fascinating.

I hope you get to see your babies.

Cas

GMG said...

Hi Anji! Back home and profiting from the Portugal’s Day holiday, I’m trying to catch up your posts. Hopefully your babies will be safe and sound! Loved to read your Karma post!
Blogtrotter

Anji said...

cas: I'm looking out for them. Their first day out of the nest involved a very wet thunderstorm!

Anji said...

GMG: Have a good day!

Dawtch said...

awwww...
:(
Such is life, as they grow, so they fly...both hatclings with and without wings...that's why it's called 'Empty Nest Syndrome'
:)
BB
dawtch

Anji said...

Dawtch: I know, I know, hopefully they'll be back next year.