Friday, March 21, 2008

You have to go a long way to serve your country

This week, Olivier received his call up papers. Fortunately he only has to go for one day. They have to listen to a talk, look around various equipment, eat steak and chips (fries) for lunch and have a brief first aid course. Dom said it was the most boring day or her life ( the intellectual pitch isn’t very high apparently).

Olivier also received his train ticket at the bottom of the form. The course is at the base in La Rochelle, he’s got a train ticket to nowhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many years ago I had a friend called Claude Perrotet - Claude had to join the army....very French very Crazy. Anyway he got imprisoned for something very small and had to peel potatoes for days :)

Claude became the Godfather to my only son.

He passed away some years ago...I miss him and his quixotic madness.

xhenry

Anji said...

Soulmerlin: As I know that French people eat more bread than anything, I was surprised that peeling potatoes was a punishment in the army- it was, I've seen the postcards!

I think I might ask olivier if he'd like to get in some potato peeling practice.