Saturday, March 01, 2008

Mad March Hare

My retired teacher student came for her lesson last Tuesday with an article she had translated from a magazine about Queen Boudica (or Boudicca). Boudica led an uprising against the Romans. The little piece of interest for both of us was that she used to carry a hare around with her and if she needed to decide something would throw the hare down and watch how it ran away. I suppose it was better than splitting open a goat or a chicken and studying it’s entrails and quicker too.

This all leads neatly into 'As Mad as a March Hare' as it is now the month of March – already! I grew up on a farm and remember some years seeing hares dancing around, but I can’t remember whether it was in the month of March or not.

If you say ‘Rabbit’ three times at the beginning of the month it brings good luck, but now I’ve read that you should say ‘Rabbit’ three times before going to sleep on the last day of the month and ‘Hare’ three times on waking on the first. In our family we took care of the whole lot of superstitions by repeating ‘Rabbit’ and ‘Hare’ three times each in the morning of the first.

Have a nice March.

2 comments:

GMG said...

Superstitions always give a chance for interesting posts; like the Galician saying "yo no créo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay..." ;)) To exorcize, I'm posting on the Rila Monastery at Blogtrotter... ;)))
Lucky girl to still keep images from a X-mas present received when you were nine!
Enjoy your Sunday, and have a great week!
Gil

Anji said...

Gil: Thanks for your visit. My galician isn't too hot!

I've got some other too. My favorite of all is the Queen Alexandra's gift book from WW1