Monday, March 10, 2008

Election time

Olivier arrived home this morning 15 minutes before he was due to set off for lycée. He’d stayed up most of the night watching the votes being counted and when the mayor was voted back in attended the party afterwards. Counting votes here is pretty complicated. Each party presents a list which the voters can change around if they wish. Don’t ask me how they organise themselves to untangle that. It took till four in the morning here.

Before Olivier arrived home I’d made up my mind that I’d phone the lycée to tell them he wouldn’t be there today. He came back full of stories of past campaigns and anecdotes from the mayor and the councillors he talked to at the party. I wonder if he’s managed to sleep.

I remember coming home with my head buzzing with ideas when I was his age, so I think I understand his enthusiasm. I’m pleased that he’s found something to be interested in for a change. I’m also pleased that the mayor and his team have been re elected.

No comments: