Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Crime Time

As usual the week started off with the grocery shopping for the next seven days. I knocked a jar of strawberry jam off the shelf and I was sure everyone was looking at me; “There goes that woman who broke a jar of strawberry jam”.

When I was going through the till, the cashier suddenly started to chase after a women who I thought was the woman in front of me who had forgotten something. I offered to help but the cashier told me to stay where I was. Strange, I thought, I was only trying to help. I also thought it odd that the cashier had trouble catching up with the woman. As it turns out I was at the furthest till that was open and the cashier had spotted a woman coming from the other end with a full trolley. She’d sneaked round by the frozen desserts and tried to make a run for it. In France you have to be stopped before you leave the shop. They brought the woman back in but I didn’t see any sign of the police before I left.

Olivier has a friend who is an apprentice chef, he works for three weeks of the month and goes to school for one. One of the other boys in the friend’s class has left. The reason why he’s left is because he and some friends attacked a man outside a night club a few years ago and killed him. He’s now in prison for eight years. He’s only 19 so you can imagine how old 27 must seem. Olivier was quite shocked by this. It usually happens in other towns to other people…

15 comments:

Mary Lou said...

ANji How do you pronounce (by syllable please) the town of
Cap D'Antibes? I am saying Cap Dan tibbies opthers say it is Cap dan TEEBES who is correct? It is for my play, and I want to make sure they are saying it correctly.

Anji said...

Mary Lou: Cap Dan Teebe we don't pronounce the 's'at the end. Hope that helps.

Doris said...

I've learned something now too :-)

Cap Dan Teebe Cap Dan Teebe Cap Dan Teebe

As for the crime levels there ..... oooooo. The shop lifter sounds quite daring - not sure I could cope with the shame of it all.

Anji said...

Doris: i really didn't understand what was going on and I wasn't the only one. She must have been pretty desperate.

It was lovely when i looked at my emails and saw a neat row of comments just for me! Thank you.

Unknown said...

There's a big man hanging around outside my house, what should I do?

Unknown said...

Spooky, shoot him, just in case!

Anji, you should have nicked out of the back whilst everyone was distracted.......free shopping!!

Only joking!

Phyllis said...

Gads, the nerve of some people! Did she try to take the entire cart with her? Sounds like a gypsy trick.

Anonymous said...

I hope they got the shop lifter. Those people cost us all money!

Anonymous said...

How frightening for Olivier! It's one thing when you hear about it on the news, but quite another when it hits so close to home.

Anji said...

Spooky: Draw a door on the wall and escape through it.

John G: I wouldn't have the nerve. Times are hard but I'm not that desparate.

Phyllis: She didn't look much like a gypsy to me. When my mum worked in a village shop she was always shocked by the type of people who shoplifted, never the ones you might suspect.

Cassie: Good point!

Kimberly: It's strange here at the moment. In the past two weeks they've fished two bodies out of the sea near to the town...

Anonymous said...

They reckon Ozzy went into that shop!!! I rest my case LOL(:-).....
Gully Foyle Flickr

Anji said...

Gully Foyle: still on the road, huh?

I remember some of the pics.

Anonymous said...

Yep, still earning a crust trucking, i need all the crusts I can get, my son Dan is off to Cambridge Uni in October. Hope you are keeping well, I visit your blog now and then.

Anji said...

Anon: What happpened to your blog? You must be really proud of Dan. Olivier is off to England on a school trip next week, he'll be visiting Oxford and Cambridge, perhaps he'll be inspired and get down to some school work..

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am really proud of Daniel, he is a good boy and so is Bryan he is going to Art college in September to study animation. I still mess about with my blog "My Gennyration" when I have got time, I hope to post some stuff from the Police tour in June....