Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A very good start to the week

This has been a true week of Gifts of Prosperity if ever there was one. In the post on Monday came a nice cheque refunding me for over-payments to the social security last year. Next came a knock at the door. I’ve recently translated a CV and letter for a neighbour applying for a job with a foreign company. My neighbour presented me with a very posh platter of expensive sweets/candies; marzipan fruits, stuffed dates jellies...

I’ve written recently about buying some albums of postcards back in September, they came from a château. Yesterday the present owner of the Grandmother’s château contacted us. He’s very kindly sent me some of the history of the family from before our postcards were sent. Our postcards have brought to light a daughter he didn’t know about. I’ll try to compile as much as I know so far to help him , unfortunatel, I'm going to have to try to write in french:( . This is exactly the kind of thing I love about my postcards, real live history. For example; in the summer I gave Dom a catalogue from one of the auctions we went to because it contained a quote from a letter George Sand sent to a friend. Only the people who have seen the catalogue would have seen that quote. Our expert is a mine of little details, we learn a lot from him.

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next!

The main news of the week is, of course, that Debbie has now had her surgery and is doing well.

3 comments:

. said...

Wow, French is hard. I wanted to try French when I was in high school but my counselor said I couldn't because of my low grade. I later found out that it wasn't true.

Good luck and have fun! :)

cassie-b said...

It does sound like a very good start to the week. I hope the rest of the week went as well. Have a nice weekend!

Doris said...

What a great start to the week, and if nothing else happened what a great week in itself :-)

I love that history/detective stuff too and how thrilling that it was only because of you new family members have been discovered.