Friday, December 14, 2007

It rattles my cage!!

I’ll be perfectly honest, I’ve reached the age of 52 and I think that my eyesight has done pretty well up to now. However, I do not see as well as I used to in the dark. I don’t like driving in the dark. I find it difficult to cope with on coming headlights and lights shining in the rear view mirror.

This is the point I’d like to make: If you ride a bicycle or a moped without lights, how can you expect to be seen? Especially when you have a menopausal woman behind the wheel who can hardly see anyway. If you are reading this and ride a bike in the dark without lights remember you are almost invisible. It’s like the disappearing Statue of Liberty trick that David Copperfield does. The difference is, it’s a lot easier to knock someone off their bike.

8 comments:

Tawnya Shields said...

Hi Anji,
I am 40 and I too cannot see as well at night. People do need to be cautious.

I think this is the first time I have visited this blog. I usually visit your other one. Glad I stopped by.

Have a lovely weekend. :o)

Anji said...

Titania: Hope you enjoyed your visit here. I try not to drive in the dark but it's hard to avoid if I'm working out and it doesn't get light until after 8.30 in the morning.

Doris said...

'ere 'ere! ;-)

I know what you mean about cyclists. Do they have a death wish or something? You can have perfect sight but still not be able to see a slimline moving cycle when they have nought in the way of lights or reflectors. Grrr.

Phyllis said...

How bizarre. Last night a 13 year old girl was struck and killed by a car as she was crossing the highway. No crosswalk, no lights, out on a country road and 5pm just turned dark, windy and rainy. She had just gotten off one of our buses. Our driver is devastated, as well as the guy that hit her. How very very tragic!!

Rhea said...

I haven't been struck yet by that difficulty seeing at night to drive. I am 49. I love to drive so I hope I don't get it too bad.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anji... I finally got my blog back up and running.

I sympathize with you and the night driving, it's the same for me. Hope you and Rob and the kids are doing well.

hugs
Rona

Doris said...

Phyllis, that is just devastating for everyone involved.

Such a different situation to when cyclists actively go on the road unsuitably "attired".

As a motorcyclist, I've been hit by a car coming from a side road not looking out for me, and whilst I laid on that road being helped I knew that I wouldn't want to be that driver who hit me. The guilt I would feel as a driver if I hit someone, let alone killed them, would be life changing. The guy who hit me certainly seemed shaken.

What you have said makes me think to drive even more carefully.

Anji said...

Doris: Why doesn't it surprise me that you are/were a biker? I think that a lot of cyclists just don't realise how vunerable they are.

Phyllis: I'm so sorry to hear that. Her family must be devastated. I understand that your driver must be very shocked by what happened.

Rhea: It creeps up on you...

Rona: Welcome back!!!! Hope we will see more of you.