Thursday, August 09, 2007

Highs and lows and a clicky thumb

Hopefully we’ll settle into more of a routine; The computer seems to be working better than before (touch wood). I (meaning me by myself) installed Firefox, why didn’t we use it before?

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Doctors for my three monthly check up and I was congratulated all round for my excellent results. He even drew me a picture to demonstrate why I’ve got a clicky thumb. He’s really pleased that I control my blood sugar levels with diet, though I can’t say that I make an enormous effort. He forgot to tell me I need to lose some weight.

Two evenings ago we went for our usual evening stroll to the beach and on the way back I started to feel very strange indeed. I felt like I couldn’t walk straight and that I wasn’t really there, I was sweating quite a bit too which I put down to hot flash. When I got home I tested my sugar level and it was really low 58 mg/dL (or 3.19 mmol/L) , no wonder I felt weird. I ate a banana and a small piece of cheese and after 20 minutes I was up to 114mg/dL (or 6.27 mmol/L). Needless to say I took some sugar cubes to bed with me just in case. I had spaghetti bolognaise to eat that evening which is not out of the ordinary and usually gives a normal reading. Perhaps it’s my age?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on excellent results from your doc! and yay for firefox! you'll love it. let me know if you have questions or problems with it. i'm a total firefox freak.

take care of yourself, anji.

Leslie said...

That's pretty scary when the blood sugar plummets like that. My father-in-law has been an insulin-dependent diabetic for nearing 50 years now and I've seen him 'crash' a few times.

How lovely that you have a beach to walk to in the evenings...and so romantic :)

Anji said...

Kimberley: Thanks and thanks, for the moment Firefox is going relly well.

Leslie: We have to be careful to appreciate the beach, we know that we are very lucky. I seem to be back to normal now, if it happens again I'll go for a check up.