Friday, June 28, 2013

History goes up in flames

As I write this the Town Hall in La Rochelle is on fire.  Scroll down to see pictures


3 comments:

Caroline said...

Scaffolding on the building says it all! Workmen just cannot help themselves when repairing roofs!

Happened at Julie's museum where the roofers set fire to their tar boiler then ran away to watch the result. Did not even turn off the gas or remove the canister which exploded and flew 400 m to land on another roof!

Thankfully the fire brigade had been waiting for a fire like this to show their training and prowess so extinguished it with minimum water damage...

Dru Marland said...

blige! Big flames there.

Talking workmen and fires, some chaps on our sister ship, down in Malta, were welding up the mast, and the sparks fell down and ignited a kerosene-filled cable below them. Silly buggers.... the crane driver swung the cradle away in a panic, leavning them stuck up the mast.... they survived, though!

Anji Knutsen said...

Caroline: They still think that it was an electrical problem. It will take 5 years at least to restore...

Dru: It makes you wonder who they let loose with welding equipment, let alone fag ends...