Sunday, July 26, 2009

Clarysville Inn



The Inn stood on the National Highway between Cumberland and Frostburg from 1807 until 1999 when it was destroyed by fire. It also served as a hospital during the civil war, perhaps Doctor March was nursed there by Mrs Marsh while Jo and her sisters stayed at home!

It was a Stagecoach stop rather than a Waggoner’s stop, “Waggoners knew where and how to have more fun”. I’ve looked online and this is the oldest postcard (from the 1920s) I could find, the image also appears on this site along with the very interesting history of the Inn. Here you see a picture of the Inn after the fire, almost exactly 10 years ago

If you click on the image you can read “Chicken Dinner”, “Excellent dining Room Service”, there is a Coca Cola advertisement and a Bath would have cost 1$50.

Researching this sort of postcard is what I love best about my job. If you’re from the Frostburg - Cumberland area, do you remember the Inn? Why did a fire start?

Ahem, the postcard is for auction here. If you scroll down far enough you'll find some English details . My postcard blog is Time and Oft

4 comments:

alan said...

A beautiful old place; a shame it was lost!

The house my wife grew up in in Vermont has parts that are over 140 years old now; as it's been added on and the ground shifts, each section slopes a different direction from the original. It has early Edison wiring in places, some in use, some not; there have been 3 electrical fires in the house in the time I've known it.

"Indoor plumbing" was added by my late father-in-law when he bought the place in the early 50's, using an uphill spring to gravity feed water into it and digging a septic for the "waste" side. He also dug a basement under it, where you can still see the original hand hewn 12"x12" beams...

alan

Anji said...

Yes it is a shame. It's good to know that people were interested enough to set up the website. Your in laws house sounds incredible. Whan I was very small I lived in a house that was built in the 17th century. (1652 I think it was)My mum hated it, draughty, dusty and an ourside toilet! It's since been restored back to its former glory and bathroom added.

Alch said...

Hi...Just droppin' by... If you are looking for ways to market your blog, I may help you in some way that I can. Visit Me Here! i will be glad to help you!

Anji said...

Alch: Sorry not interested