Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A morning with my son

This morning it was Olivier’s turn to have a trip into town with me. I’d ordered a new micro-wave, at last, from the catalogue as it was 25% off. I needed him to carry it for me.

Until recently we collected our orders from the wine shop with the lady who had trouble balancing on her high heeled shoes (drunk). The advantage was that I could park right outside which would have been great for collecting the micro-wave. However, it was not to be and I had to collect the order from town. In order to park 10 minutes walk from the shop we had to leave early to get a parking place. Olivier was up and cheerful, much to my surprise and we went into town and parked. The shop wasn’t open , nor the shops he wanted to look into so we went to the port to find Rob who gave us the money for a coffee (I never have any change on me). We collected the micro-wave which was more awkward than heavy and Olivier decided he’d prefer a sandwich from the supermarket, so we went there, then we collected the post and went to the other super market to buy bread (don’t ask). He then had to mend a puncture before he could use his bike to get to weightlifting this evening. (If I have to pay for the muscles I might as well make use of them) This is the first real day of his summer holidays. I’m pleased it was a busy one for him.

He’s scraped through this year and will advance. For a while we thought he would have to ‘redouble” (do the year again);

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some electrical goods are now so cheap it's unbelievable. Yesterday I bought a filter coffee maker from 'Asco' for £6! A few years ago my last one cost £45, and the new one is better made than the old one! Made in Taiwan by cheap child labour no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely everything is expensive here - we no longer get good value for our currency.

Over here, they no longer fail kids and the only time a child ever has to redo a year is if the parents insist they do (for the benefit of the child).

Anji said...

Keith: No one mends anything these days - just throw it out!

Michelle; In England they never had the system; olivier would have stopped going altogether if he had had to do the year again (He's 16 now and can leave). He would never have found a job so we're very relieved. He's marking time till he can join the army/airforce at 18.