Wednesday, March 29, 2006

In which we discuss the delivery of telephone directories
It’s hard, lifting and loading telephone directories all day is hard work. Much to Olivier’s relief I didn’t deliver to houses in L’Houmeau. Instead, I chose some old streets close to where we used to live in La Rochelle. Some of them were almost village like and there were lots of fascinating buildings and places tucked away. I really enjoyed that part, I also enjoyed contact with human beings. With the exception of two, they were all extremely pleasant and helpful. I learnt a lot about the area from the older people who liked to have a little chat. The idea is to deliver the directory into the hands of the subscriber, so I spoke to a lot of people (then use letter boxes ((magic key, when it fit)), neighbours and other means). The flats/ apartments in that part of town were all very smart, though sometimes it was difficult to enter. The buildings that had concierges were best because they were only too willing to help! Not everyone was as well received on their rounds as I was, Rob was really sweet, he told me it was because of my aura.

The end wasn’t so good because they made me go back and deliver some more, some streets I had to go back to 4 or 5 times to catch people in. I’m glad it’s finished. I delivered 720 directories in 41 hours which is slower than the usual rate. I don’t think I’ll have earned much more than €130/$160, but it will add a few hours to the end of my unemployment benefit.

I won’t be working for them next year.

No comments: