Monday, December 03, 2018

Moving on

We moved house on my birthday in September. We were sad to leave the village where we had been living for the last 7 years, but it was time to move on. The stairs were more and more difficult for me.
We have changed village, department and region as we now live in the Vendée department.

A new garden

Christian helped us with the decorating, he is a slave driver, but has such a good eye and lots of ideas. After cleaning up and decorating the new house, packing up to move and cleaning up the old house I was exhausted. I lost a bit of weight too The new house is not your typical house, I call it quirky. There are some steps and stairs but they are in small groups and not as deep, so I manage them quite easily.





The bathroom needed a change of colour! 


That's better.












Kitchen now comes with matching husband




I'm really pleased with what Christian helped us to do with the mezzanine, which doubles as a spare bedroom




Cosy living room

The corridor is wide enough to take a sofa bed.  This is now the grand-children's area with games and books (for when they are old enough).  It's really cosy and I like to snuggle up there with a book myself.

 We have a slightly bigger garden and a terrace facing south which is closed in on 3 sides so we have plenty of privacy. I have a cherry tree and a fig tree. Our new village is lovely, although very different. We are close to two rivers and canals and on a slope which used to be a vineyard. There is a vine in the garden so I’ve been reading up on how to prune it properly. We’ve been told that the grapes aren’t very good to eat, so who knows, we might make some wine!

4 comments:

Mary Lou said...

So now that you have changed villages did your snail mail address change too? Send it to me at marylouchandler10@gmail.com. Please note the number change after my name or your email will get lost in the shuffle! So nice to hear about you again!!






Coline said...

Wise to make a move before being forced to make a move, none of us are getting any younger...

I have planted a couple of trees in the garden today so I must think that we can manage here for a good while yet, plant some eating grapes!

Hope this new move works out for you both, Vendee had a lot of charm when we passed through a few years ago.

Anji said...

Coline: Thank you for continuing to read after all this time! I don't have any space to plant more trees, but I'm going to try to track down some roses that smell like roses. We only looked at two houses, both within a few yards of each other. The first was amazing, but with a staircase which would have soon become too difficult. Some friends of ours just moved house and one of them is really suffering after carrying boxes up and down stairs. I avoided that this time. I packed smaller boxes for a start. We are discovering vendée too and there are some beautiful places. I don't think much of the coast really, except that the beaches have sand - quite rare in Charente Maritime. We are only a minute's walk from the River Vendée which is the border between vendée and charente maritime.

Anji said...

Mary Lou; I've sent you a PM on face book and an email.