Sunday, September 28, 2014

Me, old?

I’m now sort of semi retired.

At the beginning of 1973 I started work in Barclays Bank. The following year saw the start of equality at work and it certainly applied to banking, though there were one or two little details that were overlooked.

Equality meant that our jobs were now pensionable and most of us didn’t see the need.  Up until then, women depended on their husbands to provide pensions and so on. (1974 remember). Today I’m very pleased to have taken up the pension. Even though I left the bank at the end of 1984 that nest egg was patiently waiting for me.

A couple of days ago I celebrated my 59th birthday and decided to take a lump sum and reduced pension from Barclays Bank.

In reality I will probably continue to run my own business here until I’m 70.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I worked at Winchester Cathedral for many years then I worked for The Motor Industry Research Association for a number of year, combined total 40 years. When private pensions were the thing I took one out with Barclays because those two places didn't have a scheme at the time.

When I retired I took a lump sum and a reduced monthly payout in 1998, and I'm still getting a nice payout to supplement my state pension. Good old Barclays, I say.

Anji said...

Keith: So it worked well for the customers too!

Rob only worked in the bank for 4 years and entered a lot later than me. He's not in the same scheme and not expecting a lot at all.

Seems that there are some advantages to being 'old'.

stefani said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your pension. By the way... You are NOT old! :-)

Anji said...

Stefani; Thank you. I feel 26 inside.