Monday, January 02, 2012

They've all gone.

We had a lovely Christmas and New year.  Nothing exciting just Rob, Dom and J-M, Olivier and I.  It was the first time J-M has been with us for Christmas so I was a little worried about everything turning out well.  My sister in the UK was running around for the same reason.  Her son was bringing his girlfriend with him from the States for Christmas for the first time.  Dom and J-M left last Monday and Olivier came and went as he had to work at KFC.  He was sort of here for new year, but was with his friends. Rob and I watched a film on new years eve.  We stayed up, but fell asleep just before midnight.  We were woken by the famous Can-Can music finishing and the cries of the dancers from the Moulin Rouge (obligatory for new year) on TV.

  Olivier came in for feeding and a shower before leaving for Poitiers for exams and KFC.  When he comes home next time he'll be 21!  Where did those years go? The house feels so empty now.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

I had one New Year in Normandy long long ago. It was such a change from our slightly forced tartan and bagpipes on TV events, moulin Rouge much more fun!

Much quitter generally here now and it used to be something which went on through the night and for days afterwards with people and sometimes strangers welcomed in for a drink!

Anonymous said...

On New Years eve here, there were thousands of people watching the fireworks downtown. I just stayed home and watched TV. At least you had a house full of people. I bet it does feel empty now. You can always call them or even talk on the computer. When I call my Mom on the phone, I can't get her to hang up. She just keeps talking.

Anji said...

Caroline: they don't make New years like they used to.

Connie: Just me and Rob for New year. Olivier stayed over at a friends - seems the partying lasted 48 hours

Doris said...

Ahhh. For the first time I got to do the in-law thing too and felt it was a very strange (but nice) feeling, both to have my daughter's boyfriend to stay and finally meeting his mother. A certain amount of eyeing up ;-)

Anji said...

Doris: I haven't done the meeting of the mother yet.

Jamie said...

I don't want to think about when I have an empty nest. Hopefully I'll be so senile by then I won't even remember I had kids.

Anji said...

Jamie: That's one way of looking at it I suppose!