Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Saturday to Tuesday

We had a very good, but busy weekend. Managed to send Olivier off with his clothes all washed and dried in time. We went to a Christmas market in a nearby town, mainly to see our friend Janet who has a stand there and makes amazing things to give as gifts. She hadn’t made any mince pies this year, still we got some from the Irish Counter in town a few days ago.

Poor Dom ended up with a migraine on Saturday night. She rarely drinks alcohol and had a kir (White wine with an alcoholic blackcurrant syrup) at a bar in town. I think it’s the high sugar syrup which causes it. Anyway she slept for 14 hours. She works so hard. While she was here she printed out a report to read, 50 pages, amongst all of the other things she has to do. However, she does get rewarded for her hard work. J-M also bought work to do with him, he’s studying philosophy.

On Monday I helped to supervise a TOEIC exam. Lots of papers to sort into alphabetical order at the end. I came home with a migraine which didn’t go even after a sleep. We went out for a walk, it was dry and windy, coupled with a big dose of paracetamol it did the trick.

Yesterday was my visit to the leg Doctor. It went as well as can be expected. She was only 15 minutes behind and I swear the bus drivers hid around corners in wait for me, the buses co-ordinated perfectly and I was home earlier than I expected. While I was waiting to go in the receptionist came into the waiting room to change a light bulb. Fortunately I asked her if she was sure the light was turned off, which it wasn’t. She was running around in her bare feet as she’d taken off her shoes to climb onto a chair; ‘It’s a good job there is no one here’ she said to me. I’ll take that as a compliment.

7 comments:

alan said...

I'm very sorry to read of both you and Dom fighting migraines. I used to work with a woman who had terrible ones, sometimes lasting 2 or 3 days.

Several years ago I read in a magazine that Coenzyme Q-10 had shown some preventative effect against them. She tried it and went from one a month to one every 6 months...

http://headaches.about.com/cs/prevention/a/coq10_prev.htm

There are some cholesterol meds you aren't supposed to take it with:

http://www.optimal-heart-health.com/side_effects_of_co_q10.html

Maybe it's worth reading up on, anyway...

You just reminded me of a light fixture I need to go change...Dottie whacked it with something in the basement the other day...

alan

Anji said...

Alan: Thank you for all of the information. I will look into it and send it on to Dom. Dom has pretty regular migraines and discovered that the Wifi was to blame for some of them. They always unplug everything at night now. My migraines only seem to come from the school of Commerce. Some of us have a theory about the air conditioning there. I don't take cholesterol meds anymore!!

Zed said...

I'm sorry to hear about the migraines - I suffer from them too, although they are mainly alcohol-induced (since I cut down it's much better) or fatigue. Even jet-leg will provoke a migraine.

Do you get Cafergot in France? It's not to be used frequently, but seeing as my migraines made me throw up, there was only one way to take them - in suppository form! Worked a treat.

Good luck x

Mary Lou said...

I get them every once in awhile, but usually a good sleep and a dose of tylenol with my head buried under the pillow works for me.

Unknown said...

Get well soon! :)

Anonymous said...

My migraines are always as a result of the following; stress or fatique/chocolate/alcohol-dehydration/cheese.

I never learn, I'll wait up with my head in a vice like grip of a headache and then track back over the previous 24hrs and kick myself as I will no doubt recall, yup had chesse at lunch, wine with supper, and someone gave me chocolate.
thankfully mine go after a day of taking anadin and sleep. I recall the years when I worked in an office and had to survive the day with a migraine...oh it was agony!
Glad I no longer have to do that!

Hope you are all so much better today

Helen

Anji said...

Thank you all for your concern.

I'm sorry that I never got around to answering these comments. I've noted down all of the advice and we'll see what's avalable in this country.