Thursday, September 15, 2005

This morning
was the appointment for the scan on my thyroid. I’ve seen the doctor that carried out the scan before, he’s youngish and has a good sense of humor, though it’s the first time he’s seen my thyroid. He started off by announcing to me that my thyroid was as good as dead, has been for ten years. No one has put it quite like that before, in fact my dose of hormones is the dose they give to people who have had their thyroids removed. ‘Anyway’, he said cheerfully, ‘it’s a bit like giving insulin to diabetics.’ He is diabetic so we had a good chat about that, the worse thing for him is that he is a rugby fan and it’s hard to do that without beer.

The good news is, no growths, no cancer.

As I was going back out to the waiting room he started chatting to a very elegant lady who I would have thought was between 60 and 70, he whispered on the way out that she is in her eighties. How come some people inherit all the youth genes?

No comments: