Sunday, July 31, 2005

  • Book time
    I’ve finished the Green mile. A really lovely story about good and evil. Now I’m three-quarters of the way through ‘The Little White Horse’. This was a story I read when I was young. I couldn’t remember the story but I remember being very moved by it. Elizabeth Goudge has written many books for adults and children, she wrote mainly in the forties and fifties so I was very surprised to find this book on the shelves at the moment, the story was recently televised by the BBC. I wonder if I would have enjoyed their adaptation of it? What do you think about your favourite books being televised or turned into films?

    I think it’s interesting to go back and re-read books as you get older.

    While I was in England this year I continued reading a biography of Jackie Kennedy Onasis; ‘Jackie O’ and a novel by Howard Spring, though I’ve forgotten the title! MIL will keep the books for me till next time I visit. She was throwing out books so I rescued some of them.:

  • Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford
  • Vivien Leigh, A Biography by Anne Edwards
  • The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey
  • The Loser by Peter Ustinov
  • The Tight White collar by Grace Metalious (Peyton place)

One of Rob’s colleagues, who reads English, passed me two novels by Jodi Picoult , which look to be gripping reading; I shall be well occupied for a while.

No comments: