Sunday, July 18, 2004

Hay-On-Wye
If you love books you must visit Hay-On-Wye.  There are lots of curious second-hand bookshops.  We started off with the ‘Honesty’ bookshop;  The books are on large metal bookshelves in the castle grounds, open to the elements, you just browse and make your choice.  There must be thousands of books to choose from.  Some of them have been damaged by the rain.  Rob found me a 1942 edition of  ‘Rebecca’ by Daphne Du Maurier.  When you’ve finished you put your money in a box; one price for hardbacks, another for paperbacks.
 
Rob and the boys had to Drag Dom and me from the ‘Largest second-hand bookshop in the world’.  We went down into the basement and got stuck into the languages section.  Dom found a Chinese/Russian dictionary.  I found a Russian phrase book which was so well done Dom could actually understand what I was trying to say!  There were books on teaching English as a foreign language.  Some of them very old.  I’m pleased to see I already have an important ‘ingredient’, enthusiasm.
 Dom and I were sad to leave Hay-On-Wye, but the boys wanted some ‘real’ shops.

No comments: